Closing Date: 30 September 2021
We currently have a vacancy for a Junior or Mid-level Wetland Ecologist / Specialist with 1 – 5 years experience. The candidate must have proven experience in wetland delineation and classification, wetland vegetation identification, and in the application of published wetland assessment tools (i.e. WET-Health and WET-EcoServices). The candidate must demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills, have excellent scientific report writing skills, and have the ability to manage projects independently and effectively.
Key Roles and Responsibilities:
- Data collection related to wetland assessments – soil and vegetation sampling, surface water sampling, recording and measuring of hydrological and geomorphological features, recording and measuring of wetland impacts.
- Data analysis related to wetland assessments – wetland soil and vegetation interpretation, wetland soil formation interpretation, wetland delineation and mapping in QGIS, wetland classification, surface water quality interpretation, WET-Health, WET-EcoServices, wetland monitoring programmes.
- Desktop assessments, processing and mapping using a Geographic Information System (GIS) i.e. QGIS.
- Proposal / tender compilation and management.
- Management of specialist projects including scope management, budget/time allocation and management, deliverable/deadline management.
- Be familiar with applicable environmental and water legislation.
- Facilitate and manage meetings and effectively liaise with clients, authorities and stakeholders when required.
- Maintenance and upkeep of all field sampling equipment.
- Ability to work extended hours when required.
- Willingness to travel.
- Prepare and deliver presentations at conferences when required.
- A valid driver’s license.
- Proven work experience in wetland assessment.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office packages and QGIS.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Good organizational and multitasking skills.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Good self- and time management skills.
- Excellent scientific report writing skills.
- Good interpersonal and teamwork skills.
- At a minimum, BSc Honours degree in environmental, ecological, botanical, zoological or earth sciences. Preferably MSc degree.
- Registration as a Certified or Professional Natural Scientist in terms of SACNASP.
- Proven training, mentorship and experience in wetland assessments.
A competitive, market-related salary with benefits will be offered, based on skills and experience.
Please email your letter of introduction and curriculum vitae to email@example.com. If you have not been contacted within 30 days of the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful.